2/10/2011

Who's stirring up anti-Japan sentiments in Japan?

The following two  Professors discuss "Who's stirring up anti-Japan sentiments in Japan" in the video below.

 Dr. Shoichi Watanabe, Professor Emeritus, Sophia  University (  http://bit.ly/eJPYQn )
 Dr. Hiroaki Kobayashi, Professor Emeritus, Nippon University (  http://bit.ly/f7iIXI  )

Dr. Shoichi Watanabe said: I have spent a few decades, wondering why we have such politicians as acting against the interests of Japan and why we have such editors as preferring to publish the articles damaging to Japan. I finally concluded that we had those leftists bearing a grudge against Japan who were inevitably purged in the prewar era because they were financially supported and directed by Коминтерн=Comintern short for Communist International. They lived in darkness, hating the era they lived through.

Dr. Hiroaki Kobayashi said: Yes, I think the treatment they received was inevitable.

Dr. Shoichi Watanabe said: During the occupation era, they and their supporters had rapidly risen to dominance in the press and the field of academics, well assisted by General Headquarters of U.S. Occupation Troops. As a matter of fact, the well-disciplined Japanese leftists like Mr. Manabu Sano ( 佐野学http://bit.ly/enTGgU ) and Mr. Kiyoharu Tanaka (田中清玄http://bit.ly/f0OYeS ) all left the communist movement as soon as they received an order from Comintern to start an attempt to abolish Japan's Imperial System. However, those who fanatically believed that everything about Japan was bad, remained to be leftists. They were very weird. And, they were mostly ethnic Koreans. They had no reason to give up the idea of abolishing Japan's Imperial System.

I am not saying those people are still working at Asahi Shinbun but journalists much influenced by those Korean leftists have been writing and publishing the articles very critical of Japan, thereby stirring up anti-Japan sentiments in Japan and having Japan say anything against her interests. That is my conclusion.

Dr. Hiroaki Kobayashi said: Oh, that is something I have never noticed because I wasn't looking at those things that way. I feel that those people who are in fact believers in totalitarianism perhaps tend to have such a thought. The fact that they were financially supported and directed by Starlin clearly indicates what I feel is right. Because of their influence, we observed emergence of the radical leftist students in the 1960s and 1970s.

Dr. Shoichi Watanabe said: Hitler and Mussolini were not only believers in totalitarianism but also patriots. Regardless of what Starlin said, he was in fact a patriot. However, it is very strange that those who believe in totalitarianism seem to dislike Japan.

Dr. Hiroaki Kobayashi said: Well, I think so. They are anti-Japan journalists and politicians. But I didn't notice what you have just said.

Dr. Shoichi Watanabe said: It is not a matter of whether they are ethnically Koreans or not but they still harbor the Korean leftist ideology that condemns Japan as being bad.

Dr. Hiroaki Kobayashi said: Well, that is something I haven't noticed.

Dr. Shoichi Watanabe said: I say that because they are the Japanese nationals, I will have to be patient with them only if they are just totalitarians. In fact, they are not just totalitarians but they hate everything about Japan.

Dr. Hiroaki Kobayashi said: A week ago, I received a mission of 100 Korean members. They are ex-politicians, retired military men, press people, etc. I was requested to discuss East Asian security and Japan-China relations. I emphasized that Japan and Korea have shared common values such as democracy and freedom and that Korea should not be value-neutral when considering Japan and China, as practiced by Korea either placing equidistantly Japan and China or being sided with China while criticising Japan. I feel that their reasoning gets to be obscured by emotions.

Dr. Shoichi Watanabe said: South Korea has not reached the level of civilization that makes them understand what treaty is because they keep bringing up the same old stories even if we have a good and effective treaty called Treaty on Basic Relations between Japan and the Republic of Korea.

Dr. Hiroaki Kobayashi said: That is a good and effective treaty. I really feel that I find it extremely difficult to discuss something with them because they asked me a question of whether Japan advanced into or invaded the Korean peninsula and China even after all I had to say to them. I told them to remember what I have already said to you. Since I am specialized in international laws, I am a kind of reluctant to use the terms "Advance" or "Invade" at all. I told them not to expect any words like advance or invade from me. I may discuss it from the perspective of "colonization" and "Imperialism". I told them that I have nothing to do with what our politicians have said.

Notes:

1. I try to be accurate when translating all the discourses I came across in preparing for this presentation. 2. I try to be concise enough to point out the aspects when translating all the discourses I came across in preparing for this presentation. 3. Whatever discourses I translate will remain tentative until I get satisfied with their accuracy.4. I reserve the right to decide which discourses I choose for this presentation.

5. The Treaty on Basic Relations between Japan and the Republic of Korea (Japanese: 日韓基本条約 (Nikkan Kihon Jōyaku?); Korean: 한일기본조약, 韓日基本條約, Hanil Gibon Joyak) was signed on June 22, 1965 to establish basic relation between Japan and the Republic of Korea (South Korea). For details, access http://bit.ly/g9xhE8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to make your comments on the issues